The concept of xeriscape was developed in Denver, Colorado, in response to water shortages. "Xeros" is a Greek word that means "dry." Xeriscape refers to a landscape that uses little supplemental water. It does not refer to a dry, barren landscape, nor is a xeriscape a "no maintenance" landscape. Like traditional landscapes, a xeriscape may be designed to minimize labor or to require frequent care. Many people appreciate beautiful landscapes, but have limited time to spend tending a garden. By using plants that are well adapted, mulches that suppress weeds and conserve water, and drip irrigation to make the most use of water, these landscapes can have color and fragrance with only monthly or seasonal gardening chores. Xeriscaping Landscaping Gardening Home.
Xeriscaping is landscaping and gardening that reduces or eliminates the need for supplemental water from irrigation. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: Xeriscaping is landscaping and gardening that reduces or eliminates the need for supplemental water from irrigation. It is promoted in regions that do not have easily accessible, plentiful, or reliable supplies of fresh water, and is gaining acceptance in other areas as access to water becomes more limited. Xeriscaping may be an alternative to various types of traditional gardening.
- Climate-friendly gardening - Climate-friendly gardening is gardening in ways which reduce emissions of greenhouse gases from gardens and encourage the absorption of carbon dioxide by soils and plants in order to aid the reduction of global warming.
- Dryland farming - Dryland farming and dry farming are agricultural techniques for non-irrigated cultivation of crops. Dryland farming is associated with drylands - dry areas characterized by a cool wet season followed by a warm dry season.
- Gardening - Gardening is the practice of growing and cultivating plants as part of horticulture.
- International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas - The International Center for Agriculture Research in the Dry Areas, a member of the CGIAR, supported by the CGIAR Fund, is a non-profit agricultural research for development institute that aims to improve the livelihoods of the resource-poor across the world's dry areas.
- Native plant - Native plants are plants indigenous to a given area in geologic time. This includes plants that have developed, occur naturally, or existed for many years in an area.
- Natural landscaping - Natural landscaping, also called native gardening, is the use of native plants, including trees, shrubs, groundcover, and grasses which are indigenous to the geographic area of the garden.
- Desert greening
- Sustainable gardening
- Deserts and xeric shrublands
- Types of garden
- Water conservation
- Xeriscape The Pacific Northwest Xeriscape Garden www
Xeriscape garden with listing of plants used. The Pacific Northwest Xeriscape Garden.
- Resource Xeriscape information www
Resource for Xeriscape gardening including plants and water-saving information by Colorado State University Xeriscape information.
- Advice Hotgardens www
Advice about how to create a Mediterranean garden in a hot, Hotgardens, dry climate using low water plants and trees. Hotgardens.
- Xeriscape Water conservation www
Xeriscape resource for residents of Albuquerque, conservation, New Mexico Water conservation.
- Guide Waste Efficient Landscaping www
Guide to preparing outdoor areas with drought tolerant plants to reduce water consumption. Efficient Landscaping. Also links to other xeriscaping resources. Waste Efficient Landscaping.
- Teaching A Water Resource for the Community Science Action Guide www
Teaching students to use water wisely can help prepare citizens to ensure that there is plenty of safe, Water Resource for the Community Science Action Guide, clean water for the future. A Water Resource for the Community Science Action Guide.
- Ohio Drought Resistance in the Home Landscape www
Ohio State University fact sheet HYG-1643-94 on the use of drought resistant plants in the home garden. Drought Resistance in the Home Landscape.
- Mistaken Xeriscape Misconceptions www
Mistaken beliefs often prevent acceptance of Xeriscape and these should be corrected. Xeriscape Misconceptions.
- Community Desert Gardens www
Community contribution site featuring articles, Gardens, blogs, and discussion areas. Desert Gardens.
- Organization Xeriscape Council of New Mexico www
Organization of horticultural professionals and gardeners provides information on its mission and goals, Council of New Mexico, the annual conference, xeriscape references, and a list of gardens to visit in New Mexico. Xeriscape Council of New Mexico.
- Discussion Gardenweb: Xeriscaping and Southwestern Gardening www
Discussion forum. Gardenweb: Xeriscaping and Southwestern Gardening.
- Information Texas Agricultural Xeriscape www
Information for water conservation in Texas with information on lanscpae plants friendly to the climate. Texas Agricultural Xeriscape.
- Xeriscape Southwest Florida Water Management District www
Xeriscape Information for Southwest Florida Southwest Florida Water Management District.
- Planning Summerland Xeriscape Garden www
Planning practical turf areas, Xeriscape Garden, mulching, irrigation techniques, and a plant list for low-water gardening in the British Columbia southern interior region. Summerland Xeriscape Garden.
- Demonstration Glendale Xeriscape Botanical Garden www
Demonstration garden at an Arizona public library using drought-tolerant plants. Xeriscape Botanical Garden. Virtual tour, and listing of plants grouped by water requirements, with summary information for each. Glendale Xeriscape Botanical Garden.
- Landscaping Clearwater Landscapes www
Landscaping resource for the do-it-yourself homeowner featuring interactive online landscape design. Clearwater Landscapes.
- Nonprofit New Directions in the American Landscape www
Nonprofit organization providing workshops on the design and management of landscapes based on natural models. Directions in the American Landscape. News, events, and articles. New Directions in the American Landscape.
- Alexa: Xeriscaping Landscaping
Alexa Directory Top Sites: Xeriscaping Landscaping
- DMOZ: Xeriscaping Landscaping
dmoz.org Directory: Xeriscaping Landscaping