This section is for sites geared towards helping the home consumer evaluate and choose operating systems. More extensive guides and directories about operating systems can be found in Computers-Software-Operating_Systems. Operating Systems Software Computers and Internet Consumer Information Home.
An operating system ( OS ) is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs. (wikipedia)
- Wikipedia: An operating system is system software that manages computer hardware and software resources and provides common services for computer programs.
- Antivirus software - Antivirus or anti-virus software, sometimes known as anti-malware software, is computer software used to prevent, detect and remove malicious software.
- Crash (computing) - In computing, a crash occurs when a computer program, such as a software application or an operating system, stops functioning properly and exits. The program responsible may appear to hang until a crash reporting service reports the crash and any details relating to it.
- Hypervisor - A hypervisor or virtual machine monitor is computer software, firmware or hardware that creates and runs virtual machines. A computer on which a hypervisor runs one or more virtual machines is called a host machine, and each virtual machine is called a guest machine.
- Interruptible operating system - An interruptible operating system is an operating system with ability to handle multiple interrupts concurrently, or in other words, which allow interrupts to be interrupted.
- Live CD - A live CD is a complete bootable computer installation including operating system which runs directly from a CD-ROM or similar storage device into a computer's memory, rather than loading from a hard disk drive.
- Glossary of operating systems terms
- Operating systems